- This event has passed.
Level 5 Spirometry – 12 Week Course
14th April 2021 @ 9:00 am - 5:00 pm£650.00
Financial support for this course may be available on successful completion of level 5 accreditation
Spirometry Level 5 Open College Network (OCN) NI accredited.
12 Credit Value.
60 Guided Learning Hours.
Aims of the Spirometry level 5 course:
The Student will:
- Learn how to care for and maintain a spirometer
- Understand how prepare and use all elements of the equipment – this will include the spirometer itself (all types), relevant software programmes and integration with General Practice’s clinical systems – where relevant.
- Be able to optimally prepare the patient and ensure it is safe to proceed with the test
- Learn how to accurately record all necessary parameters and appreciate why this is essential to gaining an accurate result
- Learn how to achieve consistently accurate, reproducible spirometry results that are worthy of interpretation
- Learn how to accurately interpret the results
- Be able to care for and maintain all spirometry equipment
- Know how to calibrate the spirometry.
- Know how to optimally prepare the patient prior to carrying out spirometry- and know when it the test is contra-indicated
- Be able to obtain consistently good quality, accurate and reproducible readings
- Be able to assess the quality of the patient’s blow.
- Be able to accurately interpret complex abnormal readings.
- Know when to refer to specialist care
The Spirometry level 5 course is suitable for:
All registered healthcare professionals including: GPs, Nurses, practice-based pharmacists and physiotherapists.
The Course consists of:
- One compulsory online certified e-learning module which must be completed before the first study day
- Three COMPULSARY study days – conducted either via Zoom, face to face or a hybrid of both (COVID-19 depending) – the study days will include both theoretical and practical components (if restrictions are still in place the students will be offered an alternative practical experience
- A resit day or discussion day – if required
- Once all the practical assessment components have been successfully completed – the student will progress to compile a portfolio of 10 abnormal spirometry readings which will be accurately interpreted using the four-stage process
- E-assessment – pre course commencement
- The Practical assessment – which will include verification of the device’s calibration using a 3litre syringe, preparing the equipment and patient and performing a Spirometric test on a subject and interpret the results at a basic level – using the 4-stage method taught during the programme. Interpretation of two unseen readings and discuss the appropriate cleaning and decontamination of the equipment.
- Coursework – Case studies to include 2 technically acceptable and reproducible spirometry readings and accurate basic interpretations discussing the technical acceptability of each reading
- Portfolio of evidence – which will include 7 abnormal spirometry readings which will be accurately interpreted using the four-stage process
This course is covered over the following dates:
- Day 1 – Wednesday 14th April 2021 – 9AM – 5PM
- Day 2 – Wednesday 21st April 2021 – 9AM – 5PM
- Day 3 – Wednesday 28th April 2021 – 9AM – 5PM
- Practical Exam Day – Thursday 13th May 2021
- Portfolio Due Wednesday 30th June 2021
Registration from 8:30AM. All dates are compulsory.