- This event has passed.
Level 5 Asthma – 12 Week Course
10th September 2020 @ 9:00 am - 5:00 pm£650.00
Financial support for this course may be available on successful completion of level 5 accreditation
Asthma Level 5 Open College Network (OCN) NI accredited.
12 Credit Value.
70 Guided Learning Hours.
Unit purpose and aim(s): This unit will enable the learner to understand the underlying pathophysiology and aetiology of Asthma, be able to accurately diagnose and optimally manage the condition as per the most up to date evidence.
- Understand the underlying pathophysiology and disease etiology of asthma
- Know how to use the diagnostic objective and subjective assessments required to accurately diagnose asthma in line with current guidelines
- Understand the pharmacological pathways for the management of accurately diagnosed asthma
- Understand the potential impact of inhaler technique and adherence
- Be able to accurately demonstrate the correct use of inhalers
- Understand how to recognise and manage deteriorating asthma
- Be able to recognise acute severe or life-threatening asthma
- Understand how to manage current and avert potential asthma attacks
- Reflect on current practice and its association with asthma deaths
Suitable for all Registered healthcare professionals – GPs, Nurses, Practice Based Pharmacists, Physiotherapists or Paramedics.
Mode of Delivery:
This 12-week course comprises of:
- One compulsory online certified e-learning module which must be completed prior to the first face to face study day
- Three COMPULSARY “virtual” face-to-face study days which will include both theoretical and practical components
- In order to gain OCN NI accreditation – written, practical and e-learning assessments must be successfully achieved.
- Completion of an Online module and aligned MCQ.
- Two reflective case studies – one at four weeks and the second at week 12. These will ask the learner to critically analyse an aspect of care that was historically provided, identifying areas for improvement as per relevant guidelines
- On the assessment day:
- Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)
- Four short answer questions – where the learner will be asked to answer two
- Practical assessment – Accurate demonstration of two inhaler devices selected by the assessor
- The completion of an active practice protocol is mandatory for both asthma and COPD
This course is covered over the following dates:
- Day 1 – Thursday 10th September 2020 – 9AM – 5PM
- Day 2 – Wednesday 7th October 2020 – 9AM – 5PM
- Day 3 – Wednesday 14th October 2020 – 9AM – 5PM
- Practical Exam Day – Wednesday 9th December 2020
- Written Exam Day – Thursday 10th December 2020
- Resit Day -Tuesday 5th January 2021
Registration from 8:30AM. All dates are compulsory.